GET.com's Review of Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases with your new Card in the first 3 months.|
|Our Least Favorite||$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees)|
|Our Verdict||Great card to earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta|
- Make business travel more rewarding. Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Additionally, earn a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Find room for your carry-on and settle into your seat sooner with Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you spend overseas.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95. Terms and limitations apply
- See Rates & Fees
- Intro APR
- Annual Fee
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- Regular APR
17.24% - 26.24% Variable
- Credit Required
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, a GET.com advertiser, is the official business credit card of Delta Air Lines, one of the world's largest airlines (since its merger with Northwest). Besides the obvious benefit of being able to earn Delta frequent flyer miles, this card also gives you special privileges when you travel with Delta, and throws in American Express business tools as well.
So does this card make Delta the best airline to fly with and save on business travel expenses? Or, if you are already sold out on Delta, is this the best Delta card?
In this review of Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express we look at what it gives you and how it compares to similar airline credit cards.
Things We Like About Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees). After the first year, you'll have to pay an annual fee of $95.
Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases with this card within your first 3 months of card membership. This is a good promotion for new sign-ups, as you'll likely earn these 30,000 miles simply by making your daily purchases with the card! Keep in mind that this welcome bonus offer is only available to applicants who don't have this card already, and who haven't had this card within the last 12 months. If you're a small business owner who currently holds an American Express Consumer card or you have had one in the past, you can still qualify for this offer if you have not had Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express within the last 12 months. Additionally, you can earn a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
You earn 2 miles for every $1 spent on purchases made directly with Delta. You will make the most of this offer if you fly with Delta often so as to earn even more miles which you can later redeem for either a partial or full flight. Of course, you will also earn SkyMiles on Delta flights as a SkyMiles member, on top of what you get by using this credit card.
The amount of SkyMiles you earn as a SkyMiles member, above the 2 miles per $1 which you earn with Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, will depend on your customer loyalty status:
- General member - 5 miles per $1
- Silver Medallion - 7 miles per $1
- Gold Medallion - 8 miles per $1
- Platinum Medallion - 9 miles per $1
- Diamond Medallion - 11 miles per $1
You earn 1 mile for every eligible $1 spent on purchases This does not include balance transfers, American Express Travelers checks, express cash, gift checks, cash advances or U.S. Savings Bonds transactions.
Pay for all or part of your air ticket with your miles. To pay for your flights with your miles, you must make your airline purchase at delta.com. You will be able to pay in miles for all Delta and Delta Connection carrier flights that are marked eligible for "Pay with Miles". There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions with this booking system. Do note that such Pay with Miles tickets are not eligible for the Best Fare Guarantee or mileage accrual. Miles can also be redeemed for seat upgrades, car rentals, hotel stays, merchandise, gift cards, and more.
Your first bag is checked in for free for you and up to 8 other people on your reservation when booking your flight with this Delta card. With this you can save up to $50 per person per round trip. That is a fantastic benefit, and if you fly often, just this perk can save you much more than what you spend on the annual fee.
You enjoy Priority Boarding. Forget waiting in long cues. Using this card gives you Priority Boarding on all Delta flights.
You benefit from 20% in-flight savings on your eligible purchases. When you use this card to pay for in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic drinks, movies and video games accessed through the seatback, audio headsets and pre-purchased meals, you get 20% of the purchase charges reimbursed as statement credit added to your account. It would be nice if they added wi-fi access, which currently is not eligible for this 20% saving.
Travel benefits and insurance. This card comes with travel benefits and travel insurance which can give you peace of mind when you are traveling:
- Car rental loss and damage insurance. If you rent a car with your card and damage the car in an accident or if it gets stolen, you can be covered up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles.
- 24/7 Global Assist Hotline. If you need medical, legal, financial and emergency assistance while traveling, call this hotline for referrals. You also get 24/7 Roadside Assistance, which is useful if your vehicles break down on the road. Just bear in mind that only the call service is free. You will have to pay for any actual physical roadside assistance you get.
- Baggage insurance plan. If your luggage gets lost or damaged, don't worry as you can be covered with this insurance while traveling.
- Travel accident insurance. When you charge your plane/train/bus ticket to this card, you can be insured for accidental death or dismemberment.
Business tools help you save time and money by doing part of your accounting for you:
- ReceiptMatch℠ lets you add receipts, tags and notes to the transactions made on your Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express account, either via desktop or a mobile device.
- Account Alerts can be set up to help you keep tabs on employee spending and remind you when payments are due.
- Assign an account manager. If you don't like taking care of the finances, you can designate a business partner or employee to manage your account. Obviously this should be someone you trust 100%.
Purchase Protection. This plan can protect you against accidental damage or the theft of eligible purchases for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. American Express can refund you, in the case of the store not doing so.
Extended Warranty. American Express can extend the original U.S. warranty of items you purchase by up to one year.
You can manage your account online, so you can know how your company's money was spent, on what, where and when. You can also assign someone else to manage your account online.
No foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). This means you can make purchases while overseas without incurring any foreign transaction fees.
Our Least Favorite Things About Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees) which is waived during the first year of having the card. Thereafter, you'll have to pay an annual fee of $95. If you travel frequently on Delta, you will be able to maximize the rewards of this card as you will earn double miles on those flights.
No introductory APR on purchases. This business card is a credit card, so you have the option to carry a balance if you are unable to pay in full by the due date each month (although you should always try to pay in full to avoid interest charges). This card has a 17.24% - 26.24% variable APR (See Rates & Fees) on purchases, and your due date is at least 25 days after the close of each billing period. If you pay in full each month, you won't have to pay any interest at all.
No introductory low APR rate on balance transfers. Some other business credit cards give you a low introductory APR on balance transfers for a certain amount of time after you open your account. With this card you will get the regular 17.24% - 26.24% variable APR (See Rates & Fees) right from the start.
How Other Cards Compare With Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
|Regular APR:||17.24% - 26.24% Variable|
|Annual Fee:||$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95|
|Credit Required:||Excellent Credit|
|See Rates & Fees||Terms Apply|
If your business flies Delta, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express will give you a better and cheaper travel experience, useful accounting and money-tracking benefits and a way to boost your SkyMiles earnings for more award flights.
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express gives you what most airline credit cards give you: a decent rate of miles earned for purchases with the airline, an average rate of miles earned for other purchases, and benefits like priority boarding and free first checked bag. But you also get savings on in-flight purchases and complimentary travel insurance.
The business perks you get from American Express round off this card and make it useful for business as well as business travel.
Although there are other cards which let you earn rewards (possibly more rewards than this card gives you) which you can transfer to the SkyMiles program, the savings and privileges you get when you use this card to pay for Delta purchases make it our business credit card of choice for Delta frequent flyers.
If you do most of your business travel with Delta, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express is the card to get.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, please click here.