GET.com's Review of Citi Premier℠ Card
|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening|
|Our Least Favorite||No low intro APR|
|Our Verdict||Great card for earning 3X points on travel and 2x points on entertainment and dining|
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on travel including gas stations
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent at restaurants and on entertainment
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- 50,000 Points are redeemable for $625 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $500 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Intro APR
- Annual Fee
$95, waived for first 12 months
- Regular APR
- Credit Required
Citi Premier℠ Card, a partner card, is an attractive credit card option for average to large spenders looking for a way to earn award travel. The annual fee is waived for the first 12 months, so you get Visa Signature benefits without paying an annual fee during your first year of having this card. After that, you will pay an annual fee of $95.
But probably the most outstanding benefit this card offers is the option of transferring your ThankYou® Points to a number of major frequent travel programs at a 1:1 conversion rate. That means the points you earn when you use this card are equivalent to the actual frequent flyer miles offered by partner programs. This card also has solid travel benefits, which add to its attraction for frequent travelers.
If you're an average to large spender and would like to earn rewards that can be redeemed for either merchandise, travel, or cash, then Citi Premier℠ Card may be a good card for you.
Things We Like About Citi Premier℠ Card
$95 annual fee which is waived for the first 12 months means that you won't pay the yearly fee for the first 12 months of card ownership. After the first year, you will pay an annual fee of $95.
Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. This bonus offer is a great way to start earning points from the very beginning.
Earn 3X points on travel and 2x points on entertainment and dining. With this card, you earn 3x points per $1 spent on travel which also includes gas purchases. So just filling your tank will help you earn rewards quickly. You earn 2x points per $1 spent on entertainment and dining purchases, which include concerts, movies, restaurant purchases and more.
Earn 1X point per $1 on other purchases. You will earn 1x point per dollar for other purchases made with this card.
Transfer your ThankYou® Points to frequent travel programs. You can transfer your available and qualifying ThankYou Points to participating travel loyalty programs which you are enrolled in. Most other Citi cards that let you earn ThankYou Points don't have this option. Probably the most attractive partner program is the Hilton Honors rewards program. You can get 1,500 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
Many of the frequent travel partners are foreign airline programs that will appeal to you if you travel outside of the U.S. at least occasionally. Here are the programs you can transfer points to:
- Hilton Honors Worldwide. Get 1,500 Honors Bonus Points for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you convert.
- Asia Miles. You get 1,000 Asia Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer to this leading Asian frequent flyer program.
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands. You get 1,000 Infinity MileageLands Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
- Etihad Guest. Every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer gives you 1,000 Guest Miles.
- Flying Blue. Enjoy 1,000 Flying Blue Award Miles for each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred. This frequent flyer program is used by Air France and KLM.
- Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer. Get 1000 GFF Miles per 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich. Get 1000 Enrich Miles per 1,000 ThankYou Points your transfer.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer. 1,000 ThankYou Points transfers to 1,000 Qantas Points.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club. Get 1,000 Qmiles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer. Each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred converts to 1,000 KrisFlyer Miles.
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus. You get 1,000 Royal Orchid Plus Miles for each 1,000 ThankYou Points transferred.
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Get 1,000 Flying Club Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou Points you transfer.
- Virgin America Elevate®. Get 500 Elevate points per 1,000 ThankYou Points.
Earn unlimited ThankYou® Points and points do not expire. As long as your account is open and current you will be able to earn unlimited points that will not expire.
Flexible ThankYou Points redemption. This rewards system from Citi lets you redeem points earned for gift cards, merchandise, travel, experiences and more. One nice thing about this rewards program is that you can also redeem points for cash (as $50 or $100 checks) or for statement credit to help lower your balance. You can also pool rewards with friends and family or share rewards with any ThankYou member. You can also use your points to donate to select charities by creating a PointWorthy login and linking your ThankYou account to PointWorthy.com.
$0 Liability for unauthorized purchases. With this card you get $0 Liability on unauthorized charges, which protects your assets if your card is used to make fraudulent purchases.
No foreign transaction fees on purchases. When you use your card while traveling or shopping online outside of the US, you won't be charged an additional foreign transaction fee. Some other credit cards charge a fee of up to 5% of the transaction when you use your card abroad, so this is an extra benefit for travelers.
Travel with ease and enjoy chip based technology which makes it possible for you to use this Visa Signature card almost anywhere in the world. It is also much safer than magnetic stripe cards since chip cards are more difficult to counterfeit.
Citi® Private Pass® gives you preferred access to purchase tickets to great experiences, including concerts and sporting events.
Our Least Favorite Things About Citi Premier℠ Card
No introductory APR, then 16.74% - 25.74% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers, based on your creditworthiness. I would avoid using this card for balance transfers or for making big-ticket item purchases if you plan to pay them back over time because you'll have to pay this interest right from the beginning of card membership. Keep in mind that you can avoid paying interest altogether by making your payments in full before the due date each month.
Penalty APR. If you miss a payment, your APR may be raised to up to 29.99% variable penalty APR. If you prefer a credit card with no penalty rate, you should take a look at Citi Simplicity® Card - No Late Fees Ever.
How Other Cards Compare With Citi Premier℠ Card
|Regular APR:||16.74%-25.74% (Variable)|
|Annual Fee:||$95, waived for first 12 months|
|Regular APR:||18.24% - 25.24% Variable|
|Credit Required:||Excellent Credit|
|Intro APR:||0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases|
|Regular APR:||17.24% - 25.24% Variable APR|
Citi Premier℠ Card rewards you well for most travel-related purchases and dining and entertainment purchases. It gives you a 1:1 point transfer rate to participating frequent travel programs, no foreign transaction fee, solid shopping benefits and comprehensive travel insurance coverage. The ThankYou rewards program gives you a lot of options when you redeem rewards.
The card comes with solid travel and purchase benefits, and a good rewards program. This card will appeal primarily to larger spenders, as the high amount of points you can earn with this card can easily cover the $95 annual fee which is waived for the first 12 months. If you travel a lot, the strong travel benefits that come with this card and the 1:1 conversion to frequent travel programs could benefit you in a big way. The ThankYou® rewards program gives you a lot of flexibility when redeeming your points, so even if you don't travel much this could still be a good rewards credit card for you.
I was disappointed to see that this card doesn't offer any low APR introductory period, and the standard variable APR is not particularly low (16.74% - 25.74% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers). I wouldn't recommend this card if you have a balance to transfer, or if you want to make a large purchase that you plan to pay off over time. If you don't carry a balance and would like to earn flexible rewards on regular spending like gas and dining out, then this Citi Premier℠ Card is a good choice.
See more Citi credit cards.