Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express, a GET.com advertiser, is a high-end Hilton loyalty credit card issued by American Express which gives you special privileges at hotels in the Hilton group. With an eye-popping bonus offer and per-dollar rewards so generous you have to blink twice to believe, it's easy to imagine that swiping this plastic would make any traveler smile.
However, this card does have an annual fee. With quite a range of Hilton credit cards available, you may be wondering how this card stands out, and who it is designed for. If you can't tell a Hilton room from a room at the Marriott, Radisson Blue, Holiday Inn or the local motel, then you are probably more interested in how this card helps you get cheap or free hotel stays.
In this review of Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express we will show you how this card helps you get free hotel stays, and how this card compares to other travel cards and Hilton cards out there.
|Credit Card||Features||Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Why we like it||We least like||t_cc_credit_required||Related links|
Limited time offer till 5/31/17
Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
Limited time offer till 5/31/17
Why we like it
We least like
|Related Links Read our review of Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express or view more details of Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express . See more American Express credit cards.|
Things We Like About Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
- The 100,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points! No, that isn't a typo. When you successfully apply for this card you earn 100,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases using your new Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. This is a limited time offer which ends on 05/31/17. Just for reference, 100,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points are worth up to 20 nights in a category 1 hotel (5,000 Points per night) or up to 3 nights in a category 7 hotel (30,000 to 60,000 Points). If this card makes sense for you, we suggest you apply for this card now to take advantage of this fantastic welcome offer.
- The 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at participating hotels. You earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio. If you stay at Hilton hotels regularly, then using this card to pay for your stays and amenities will help you collect rewards and earn award stays fast.
- High points for everyday spending. You earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each $1 of eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations, U.S. restaurants and U.S. supermarkets that you charge to this card. Finally there's a credit card that really makes sense for people who don't stay at hotels a lot, but want to earn rewards towards free hotel stays when vacations come around. Most of us spend a fair amount of money at supermarkets, gas stations and restaurants every month, and just using this card to pay for that spending will get you award nights. For example, if you spend $1,000 a month on eligible purchases in these categories, you will earn 6000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points monthly. In 1 year you could collect 72,000 points just through this spending. that's enough to redeem for up to 14 nights in a category 1 hotel, or may even get you 1 night in a luxurious category 10 hotel (70,000 to 95,000 points per night).
- 3 Hilton Honors Bonus Points for other purchases. You earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each $1 spent on all other eligible purchases on your Card. Use this card to pay for as much of your budget as possible, and you'll find yourself vacationing at Hilton resorts often enough. For example, if you use this card to cover $1,500 of regular purchases every month, the 4,500 points you would earn would add up to 54,000 points per year. Terms and limitations apply.
- You get an online booking bonus. Use your Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express to both book your reservation online at any Hilton Honors brand website within the Hilton Portfolio and pay for your stay using your same Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express, and you will earn 500 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points for each qualifying stay. If you don't mind booking and paying for your hotel stays online, you can earn a lot of bonus points this way.
- Hilton Honors Gold status If there is one outstanding benefit that this card gives you, it's this. As a Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express Card Member you will receive Hilton Honors Gold status without having to fulfill the normal requirements. You would normally have to stay at Hilton hotels for 40 nights or 20 stays every calendar year, or collect 75,000 Honors Base Points in a calendar year. When you apply for this card you get to skip all that and go straight to the fun part.
Here's a rundown on what you get with Hilton Honors Gold status:
- You get an automatic 25% bonus on all the Honors Base Points you earn. That means you will earn points 25% faster.
- You get a free 5th night when you redeem points for reward stays of 5 nights or more in a Standard Room.
- Space-available upgrade to a preferred room and 1,000 Honors Bonus Points per stay (or one in-room movie per stay) at Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts.
- At Hilton Garden Inn™ you get a complimentary hot, cooked-to-order breakfast for you and up to 1 additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay, or 750 Honors Bonus Points per stay.
- 500 Honors Bonus Points with every stay or 2 snack/refreshment choices per stay at Embassy Suites Hotels™.
- You can choose between a complimentary continental breakfast (for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room) every day of your stay or 1,000 Honors Bonus Points per stay, plus an upgrade to a preferred room (space-available) when you stay at Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts or Curio - A Collection by Hilton.
- At Hampton™ you get a snack and non-alcoholic beverage of your choice, or 250 Honors Bonus Points per stay.
- You get 1,000 Honors Bonus Points per stay with Hilton Grand Vacations™.
- At Home2 Suites by Hilton™ you get a choice of snack and bottled water or 100 Honors Bonus Points per stay.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton™ stays earn 250 Honors bonus points per stay or 2 bottles of water and Pepperidge Farm cookies every stay.
As well as these exclusive Gold Status perks, you get the advantages of Silver and Blue status, like complimentary access to hotel-operated health clubs and fitness centers, late check-out (subject to availability when you request it, 2nd guest in your shared room stays free (at hotels which would normally charge for a second guest), and complimentary in-room and lobby standard internet access during stays at Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Canopy™ by Hilton, Embassy Suites Hotels™, Hilton Grand Vacations™, Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, and Conrad® Hotels & Resorts.
- You can earn Honors Diamond status by using this card. You can earn Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year when you spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year! If your monthly spending (or household spending) is around $3,335 or more, then using this card to cover those purchases can get you Honors Diamond status, which is Hiltons most prestigious status and comes with even better benefits and a bigger rewards bonus (50% bonus on all the Honors Base Points you earn). You would normally have to spend 60 nights or 30 stays at Hilton hotels every calendar year, or collect 120,000 Honors Base Points every calendar year, just to achieve this status. With this card you can get there just by paying for your regular purchases.
- Complimentary standard Priority Pass™ membership. You don't get completely free access to airport lounges, but you do get a hefty discount. This complimentary membership gives you access to over 700 airport lounges around the world subject to a per-visit fee of $27 per person per visit. This membership is valued at $99 and can help you save money if you enjoy staying at airport lounges when traveling. For example, the Wingtips lounge at New York's JFK terminal 4 would normally cost $50 per person.
- You get travel insurance coverage. Using this card to pay for your travel bookings in full gives you complimentary coverage for a number of different travel incidents:
- Travel Accident Insurance. Worst case scenario, you or a family member traveling with you are killed or permanently dismembered in an airline accident or an accident on another common carrier (train, ship, or bus). This coverage can provide compensation towards part of the financial losses incurred. Terms and limitations apply.
- Baggage Insurance Plan. If your luggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you can get compensation of up to $500 for checked baggage and $1,250 for carry-on baggage. New York State residents are subject to a $10,000 aggregate maximum limit for all covered Persons per covered trip (tough luck if the plane is full). Exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance. Save your money by declining the secondary insurance offered by auto rental companies. Using this card to pay gives you coverage just in case the car is damaged or stolen.
- You get shopping benefits. Beside earning Hilton stays, there are many more good reasons to use this card to pay for you shopping. When you charge purchases to this card, you enjoy purchase protection (coverage against accidental damage or theft), return protection and an extended warranty.
- Terms apply.
Our Least Favorite Things About Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
- You pay an annual fee. Unlike some other hotel groups, Hilton actually does offer some very decent loyalty credit card for no annual fee. However, although this card has a $75 annual fee, it packs some serious rewards earning benefits, not the least because of the Gold Status you get. The 12 points per $1 you earn on direct purchases from Hilton make this card especially rewarding if you stay at Hilton a lot. But even if you only use this card to pay for your other spending, you will likely earn enough reward hotel stays to cover this annual fee several times over.
- No introductory low APR. This card has a 15.99%-19.99% variable APR, and you get that rate right from the start. Whatever you do, don't use this card to pay for stuff you can't afford. Make your payments in full by the due date every month and you can maximize award stays without wasting money on interest charges.
How Other Cards Compare With Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
|Regular APR:||15.99%-19.99% Variable|
|Regular APR:||15.99%-19.99% Variable|
|Regular APR:||16.74% - 23.74% Variable|
Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express offer some of the highest points earning rates of any Hilton credit cards and gives you solid Hilton privileges.
Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express is a powerful tool for earning reward stays at hotels in the Hilton group and rewards you in a very big way when you stay at Hilton hotels. The Gold status you enjoy will make your Hilton stays that much more enjoyable, and can also save you money.
If you travel a lot and want to earn rewards on your hotel stays, then in our opinion, this is the most rewarding Hilton credit card you can get. Even if you don't stay at Hilton much throughout the year, the high rewards rate which you earn in categories that you probably already spend on (U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations) makes this a card that can get you something for nothing, so to speak.
At GET.com it's all about your saving and getting experience. There's nothing more helpful for all of us Getters than a true life experience, a tip or a trick relating to a reviewed product. Read more about comments.