|Highlights||Credit Card Feature|
|Things We Like||Earn 40,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.|
|Our Least Favorite||$250 annual fee|
|Our Verdict||Great card for earning miles on Delta purchases|
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, a GET.com advertiser, is a high-end Delta miles credit card which may be the best choice if you are an average to big spender and fly on Delta often.
While it doesn't deliver extraordinarily high miles per dollar for regular purchases or Delta purchases, it comes with a few generous miles and flight bonuses that can easily make up for the annual fee several times over.
If you are looking for a Delta card that rewards you more for your spending and customer loyalty, then Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card may well be the best match. In this GET.com review, we look at the added benefits offered by this solid airline credit card and compare it to similar cards to see how it flies.
Things We Like About Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Earn 40,000 bonus miles. You can earn Earn 40,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
You get a companion certificate every year! Each year, when you renew your card and pay the annual fee, you receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate which a friend or family member can use to accompany you on a Delta flight. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply and you will have to pay government imposed taxes and fees for roundtrip domestic flights with up to four flight segments, but the amount you have to pay is limited to $75. As always, terms and conditions apply, but this is a pretty nice offer, and it can save you a lot of money if you normally travel with your spouse or another traveling companion.
You earn 3 miles on every dollar of eligible purchases made directly with Delta. This is a pretty typical rate for airline credit cards, if you fly Delta a lot you can earn miles fast.
1 mile per $1 you spend on all other eligible purchases. You can earn more Delta miles by using this card to pay for most of your purchases. Think about how much you spend in a year and consider how much of that you could charge to this card. At a rate of 1 SkyMile to $1 you could rake in the miles pretty fast.
Check your first bag free on Delta flights. When you use this card to pay for your Delta booking, up to 9 people traveling on that booking get to check their first bag free. That's a big saver!
There is no limit on the miles you can earn. You can collect as many miles as you like, and you can redeem your miles through the Delta SkyMiles® Program for upgrades, airfares and more.
You and up to 2 traveling companions get discounted access to Delta Sky Clubs® . Nobody likes to hang around crowded and uncomfortable airport terminals. For a reduced fee you can benefit from complimentary snacks and beverages, as well as access to satellite TV, Wi-Fi, private restrooms and more at a Delta Sky Clubs® airport lounge.
You get 20% savings on your in-flight purchases. When you use this card to pay for food, beverages, movies, audio headsets, TV series and some other on-board purchases, you get back 20% of what you spend in the form of statement credit. Knock 20% off prices and having a good time while flying suddenly seems more affordable.
No foreign transaction fees. Most cards charge you a fee equal to 3% of each transaction you make in a foreign currency. When you travel outside of the US, that 3% can add up to a whack load of money spent on nothing. This card charges no foreign transaction fees, so it's a good card to pay with when traveling internationally.
You get complimentary travel insurance. When you pay for a trip with this card, you benefit from complimentary travel insurance. This coverage applies to all travel on any common carrier, and not just Delta flights:
- Travel accident insurance that covers you in the case of accidental death or dismemberment if you've paid your whole fare with this credit card. Make sure to check the terms and conditions to see the exclusions and restrictions.
- Baggage insurance plan may cover your eligible baggage that gets stolen, lost or damaged when you pay for your entire travel ticket fare with your eligible card. You may be covered with up to $500 for checked in luggage and up to $1,250 for carry-on bags. Terms and restrictions apply.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance that covers your rental car. Keep in mind that not all vehicles are eligible for this insurance coverage, and that to enjoy this insurance you must decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter and use this card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental. This insurance provides secondary coverage's and doesn't include liability coverage. Some countries are excluded from this coverage if you rent a car there. Make sure to check the list of exclusions and restrictions in this card's terms and conditions.
You get access to a roadside assistance hotline and global assist hotline. That doesn't mean that you get free roadside assistance, but you can call up the number and get them to organize third-party roadside assistance or towing services if your car breaks down. You also get a number you can call if you run into timely problems or inquiries during your travels.
You get shopping benefits. When you use this card to pay for your purchases, you automatically enjoy a number of useful coverage's:
- Extended Warranty. Enjoy up to 1 additional year warranty, apart from the original warranty that comes with the product you purchase with this card. This applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Purchase Protection covers your eligible purchases with this card from theft or accidental damage for up to 90 days since the day of purchase. Exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Dispute Resolution. American Express can help you resolve issues with the merchant if a fraudulent or mistaken transaction is made with your card.
Save on events. As an American Express Card Member you can stay in the know with exclusive ticket presales and invitations to events in your city (or nearby cities) reserved for Card Member's. Check out Broadway shows and concert tours, family and sporting events, and more.
More ways to save with SkyMiles. If you aren't a Delta SkyMiles member yet, you may find these additional tips helpful:
- You can buy extra SkyMiles. If you have nearly enough miles to redeem for an award flight, but can't wait until you've collected the difference before snatching a great deal on an award flight, then this perk will help. You can buy up to 60,000 miles every calendar year at the rate of $0.035 to the mile. If you find a really good award flight deal, buying some miles can be worth it.
- You can earn Medallion status. The Delta Medallion status tier system is pretty complex, and you have to earn a combination of MQMs and Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) to get a better status. These MGMs and MQDs are not the same thing as the frequent flyer miles you earn. You get these by making a certain amount of purchases with your Delta credit card or fulfilling other criteria. 25,000 MQMs and $3,000 MQDs gets you Silver status, 50,000 MQMs and $6,000 MQDs gets you Gold status, 75,000 MQMs and $9,000 MQDs get you Platinum and 125,ooo MQMs plus $15,000 MGDs gets you Diamond status. You will need to collect these in 1 year to enjoy the relevant status for 1 year. The good news is that, if you spend $25,000 or more on purchases using your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card in the same year, the MQD requirements are waived. You already enjoy most of the benefits you get with Silver status (priority boarding, free checked bag) just by having Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, although you do receive 2 additional miles per dollar for qualifying flight bookings. Gold status gives you 3 extra miles per $1, Platinum gives you 4 extra miles and Diamond status gives you 6 extra miles per $1 of eligible Delta purchases.
Our Least Favorite Things About Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
The $250 annual fee. Each year you must pay a $250 annual fee to use this card. However, if you spend a lot on this card each year and take into account the bonus miles and Medallion Qualification Miles you can earn each year, the amount of miles you earn may be worth more than this annual fee.
No introductory APR on purchases or balance transfers. You will have a 15.74% - 24.74% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers based on your creditworthiness.
You don't get an automatic Medallion status upgrade. Some other airline credit cards come with a frequent flyer program status upgrade as an automatic benefit. This card does not. If you make $50,000 of purchases in 1 year, the 20,000 MQMs you will get from the Annual Miles Boost® for Platinum perk will get you most of the way to Silver status, but not quite. On the whole, we find the requirements to achieve Delta Medallion tiers unnecessarily complicated. But if you can achieve them, you can earn a lot more miles on your Delta spending.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card can help you reach Delta Medallion status quickly if you spend a lot.
The benefit of Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card rests in its ability to deliver large lump sums of bonus miles and MQMs to big spenders.
If you spend $50,000 or more using a credit card every year, the bonus miles and MQMs which you receive every year will make up for the difference in the annual fee (and then some).
This card offer is no longer available through GET.com and may show outdated information.