There are multiple factors that determine how much you pay for auto insurance in the US. These factors range from occupation to vehicle type. For example, if you're in the right age bracket, live in a low-risk area, and have a spotless driving record - you may be paying lower insurance rates than other drivers. However, if your circumstances make you pay high car insurance rates, I'll show you some ways to get discounts in the majority of auto insurance companies.
1. One of the best ways to get a hefty discount on your auto insurance premiums is by taking a defensive driving course. Every state has its own rules and regulations regarding safe driving courses. To get a discount on your car insurance premiums (in states that offer this incentive) you must complete the safe driving course in a state-approved center. In some states you can take this course online, in other states you have to take it in person in a specific location.
Becoming eligible for a defensive driver discount can help you become eligible for other additional discounts such as the safe driver discount or the accident free discount. Make sure to ask your insurance company if you can use multiple discounts at once.
To find out which courses are accepted in your state, simply contact the DPS (Department of Public Safety) to receive a complete list of approved driving courses. You can also contact your insurance company to enquire about the defensive or safe driving discounts in your state.
2. Many insurance providers offer significant discounts if you insure more than one vehicle on the same insurance policy. It is common that families own more than one car, if this is your case, you should ask your car insurance company for a multi-vehicle discount. If you have a teenage driver that you would like to insure, this type of discount is especially beneficial. To qualify for this discount you must meet the following requisites:
- Each vehicle must be insured under your name and can only be driven by other family members that live under the same roof, and yourself.
- All of your vehicles must be covered by the same insurance provider. If you have vehicles that are insured by other providers, you will have to cancel the policies and insure them under a single insurance company. Tip: remember to do your math and check if a multiple vehicle insurance discount will be worth it before canceling your other insurance policies. Sometimes a multiple vehicle discount can help you save as much as 15% on your current insurance premiums - so it pays to look into it if you own more than one vehicle!
Each insurance company operates differently, and has its own limitations and regulations regarding the multiple vehicle discount. It's important to ask your insurance provider how many vehicles you may insure under this policy and if it includes other vehicles such as motorcycles, boats, etc.
3. You can also save a lot of money by paying your auto insurance in full rather than in monthly installments. In most cases, this type of discount is offered immediately by your insurance provider (other types of discounts are not advertised and you generally have to enquire about them). This type of discount gets rid of the installment fees since you pay the full amount up-front. If you can afford to do this, it is one of the easiest and surest ways to pay less on your auto insurance.
Do you think you're paying too much for your car insurance? If you're paying too much, or simply looking for a new insurance provider - make sure to shop around to compare prices. Auto insurance companies can offer special discounts to new members, so it's a good idea to shop around frequently to check for better deals.
You may think it's too time consuming to shop around for the cheapest car insurance rates, and in most cases it certainly can be - but not here! At GET.com we've done the homework for you to help you save time and money on auto insurance! You can compare the best auto insurance rates in just a click, right here. Or if you prefer, just choose your state in the box below to compare car insurance in your area!