Small business credit cards can play a part in the success of your small business. They can provide you with a small business line of credit that can help tide you over times of unpredictable cashflows. The top business cards in the market actually provide good value for money by rewarding you with cash back or airline miles when you use them for your business expenses.
We at GET.com have done the hard work and come up with America's best business credit cards this season:
8 Best Business Credit Cards:
|Best For||Credit Card|
|Best 2% Cash Back Card||Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business|
|Favorite for Complimentary Airport Lounge Access||The Business Platinum® Card from American Express|
|Best 2X Miles Card||Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business|
|Favorite for Cash Back as Statement Credit||American Express® Blue Business Cash Card|
|Favorite for Earning Rewards||The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express|
|Best Rewards Card with No Annual Fee||Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business|
|Best for Delta Travel||Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express|
|Best for Average Credit||Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business|
Best 2% Cash Back Card
Advantages of Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business:
- Unlimited 2% cash back on every purchase charged to your card account. That's double the amount of standard cash back that most cards give you. You can redeem any amount of cash back or set up automatic redemption for greater convenience. Free employee cards, downloadable purchase records in multiple formats (including QuickBooks™, Quicken®, Excel®), $0 Fraud Liability if your card is lost or stolen, and purchase security and extended protection are just some of the business benefits you get with this card.
Downsides of Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business:
- This card has a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that. The annual fee you pay after the first year will negate part of the cash back you earn. This card doesn't offer a low intro APR period for either purchases or transfers (a standard 18.49% variable APR applies).
- If your business has an irregular spending pattern then this cash back card is ideal, as you earn cash back on all purchases. Since cash back is unlimited this is also a good card for businesses with high spending.
Find out more in our Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business review here.
Favorite for Complimentary Airport Lounge Access
Advantages of The Business Platinum® Card from American Express:
- This card has a great welcome offer that lets you earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points. Here's how: you'll earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. One of the highlights of this card is that it gives you complimentary access to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide, making it a good choice if you fly a lot on business. Complimentary unlimited Wi-Fi at Boingo hotspots and 10 Gogo inflight internet passes annually add to the potential savings this card offers to business travelers. Another saver is the $200 Airline Fee Credit that lets you get up to $200 in statement credits each calendar year to cover incidental fees (checked bags, in-flight refreshments, and more) that the qualifying airline you select charges to your card. Every 5 years you can receive a statement credit if you apply for either TSA Pre✔TM ($85) or Global Entry ($100) and pay with your Card. Business benefits include a concierge service and access to dedicated business consultants. Your business line of credit can be adjusted to suit the needs of your business. Terms Apply.
Downsides of The Business Platinum® Card from American Express:
- The rewards you earn with this card on on the low side compared to some cards, but they're not too shabby either. You get 50% more Membership Rewards® points on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more (that equals 1.5 per $1 spent). If you use Membership Rewards Pay with Points for all or part of an eligible fare you can get 35% of those points back, on up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when flight is booked on amextravel.com. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year. On purchases under $5,000 you'll earn one Membership Rewards® point for each $1 that you spend on eligible purchases. Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. The $595 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) is high, but looks more reasonable when you consider the exclusive benefits you get.
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express is the card to get if you want exclusive services and benefits and are willing to pay for them. Although a dedicated concierge service and a flexible credit line will benefit any business, most of the perks of this card are reserved for frequent travelers and big spenders.
Best 2X Miles Card
Advantages of Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business:
- Every purchase charged to this card earns unlimited 2 miles per $1, so you have complete flexibility in the way you spend and earn miles. You can redeem miles towards any travel purchases which you pay for with this card, so you aren't limited to booking travel through a credit card company. Cardholders will also have the option to transfer their miles earned to participating airlines. Travel perks like no foreign transaction fee and auto rental collision damage waiver are a nice plus. Business benefits include free employee cards, real-time fraud alerts (phone, text or email), $0 fraud liability if your card is lost or stolen, and downloadable purchase records (including Quicken®, QuickBooksTM and Excel® formats) for easy accounting.
Downsides of Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business:
- You pay an annual fee after the first year ($0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that), and the business and travel benefits are not much better than what you get with Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business which has no annual fee.
- You earn a high rate of miles on all purchases, and you can redeem your miles towards the cost of any travel purchases you charge to this card. If you like flexibility in the way you earn and redeem miles, then this card is probably a good fit for you.
Find out more in our Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business review here.
Favorite for Cash Back as Statement Credit
Advantages of American Express® Blue Business Cash Card:
- You get 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. The cash back you earn is automatically credited to your account statement, so you pretty much get automatic savings without having to fuss with redeeming cash back. You get 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months ( See Rates & Fees), then 14.74% - 20.74% variable APR ( See Rates & Fees) after that. This card has no annual fee ( See Rates & Fees).
Downsides of American Express® Blue Business Cash Card:
- You only earn 1% cash back on all your other purchases. The 2% bonus cash back only applies to purchases up to $50,000 per calendar year (1% after hitting that cap).
- If you want to be able to earn cash back for and prefer a card with no annual fee ( See Rates & Fees), you will probably enjoy American Express® Blue Business Cash Card. But if your business runs on a big budget, there are other cards that may let you earn more cash back per year.
Favorite for Earning Rewards
Advantages of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express:
- This card has $0 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), and gives you benefits like purchase protection, travel accident insurance, extended warranty and car rental loss and damage insurance. It also comes with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months (See Rates & Fees), which is useful if you are planning a big purchase that you won't be able to pay off by the end of the month (after that a 14.74% - 20.74% variable APR (See Rates & Fees) applies). You earn 2X points on everyday business purchases (office supplies or client dinners). The 2X points only apply to the first $50,000 in purchases per year and you earn 1 point per dollar thereafter.
Downsides of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express:
- You don't get many extra business benefits with this card, and you don't have the option of earning more points on special categories of purchases.
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is a good basic rewards card. For a card with $0 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) it lets you earn 2X points on everyday business purchases. But, the 2X points only apply to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, you earn 1 point per dollar after that. You get good benefits, but you don't get a lot of extra, business-related perks. Terms apply.
For rates and fees of the The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, please click here.
Find out more in our The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express review here.
Best Rewards Card with No Annual Fee
Advantages of Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business:
- When you use this card, you earn 1.5 miles for each dollar you spend on every purchase charged to your card account. You can redeem your miles (as a statement credit) towards any travel purchases charged to this card, so you can purchase the best travel deals and then simply redeem your miles towards the cost. Plus you get business benefits like free employee cards, $0 Fraud Liability (when your card is stolen or lost), no foreign transaction fees, downloadable purchase records in multiple formats, plus quarterly and year-end summaries. You also get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 9 months (14.49% - 22.49% variable APR after). Not bad for a card with no annual fee.
Downsides of Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business:
- The miles you earn are more like points or cash back that you can redeem towards travel purchases. You cannot transfer your miles to frequent travel programs.
- If you want to earn above-average travel rewards on all spending, redeem miles towards any travel purchases and enjoy solid business benefits for no annual fee, this could be the card for you.
Find out more in our Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business review here.
Best for Delta Travel
Advantages of Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express:
- If you hold this Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, you can enjoy in-flight savings of 20% (in the form of a statement credit) on food, beverages, and entertainment when you fly Delta. You also get your first checked bag free and Zone 1 Priority Boarding privileges for Delta flights. Travel benefits include a baggage insurance plan, travel accident insurance and car rental loss and damage insurance. Business benefits like ReceiptMatch℠ (add receipts, tags and notes to card transactions via desktop or mobile device), Account Manager (allow a trusted employee or business partner to manage your card account), and monitoring of employee spending via alerts make this card useful for everyday business as well as travel. You earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases, and 2 Miles per $1 for purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of card membership as well as earn a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
Downsides of Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express:
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95 (See Rates & Fees). If you fly Delta a lot, the savings you get on the free first checked bag will easily offset that fee. You don't get a low introductory APR for balance transfers.
- If you fly Delta regularly, the benefits you get and the miles you earn with this card can save you money and help you enjoy your flights more.
For rates and fees of Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, please click here.
Find out more in our Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express review here.
Best for Average Credit
Advantages of Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business:
- The biggest advantage of this card is that you can apply even if you only have fair credit. You earn 1% cash back on every purchase charged to this card, and using this card responsibly will help you build business credit. You pay no foreign transaction fees, which is a big saver if you travel or make purchases outside of the United States. Unlike many other business credit cards, this card gives you fraud coverage, so if your card is ever lost or stolen you won't be held liable to pay fraudulent purchases. When you use this card to pay, you get purchase security, extended protection, and discounts through Visa® SavingsEdge. You also get free employee cards, quarterly and year-end summaries, and you can download your purchase records easily and securely into multiple formats (Quicken, Excel, QuickBooks). You pay a $0 annual fee to use this card.
Downsides of Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business:
- For a business credit card available to business owners with fair credit, it leaves very little room to complain. An introductory APR rate would have been the cherry on the top. The credit line you get will depend on various factors, but you will receive a minimum credit line of $500.
- Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business gives you the kind of cash back and business perks that you would normally find on business credit cards for people with excellent credit, but on a fair credit card.
Find out more in our Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business review here.